The Growing Great Readers AmeriCorps program is a high quality, comprehensive, research-based English literacy tutoring program that supports students, families, and the community. Growing Great Readers’ mission is to provide low-income schools with AmeriCorps tutors to ensure that children advance to grade level reading before 3rd Grade.
- The Growing Great Readers program will impact 180 Kindergarten – 3rd
Grade students who need additional support in reading across 5 schools.
The program will include:
(1) one-on-one and small group tutoring in reading using an evidence-based curriculum
(2) parent workshops to provide reading support strategies for the home
(3) recruitment of additional volunteers from the community to ensure sustainability
- How does Growing Great Readers benefit the volunteers? All AmeriCorps members working with the Growing Great Readers program will serve as positive role models for their students and will develop organizational, leadership, and teamwork skills as they serve our communities. They will also be given an education award and a living allowance. Volunteers can choose from three different service commitment levels: (1) 900 hours over 12 months (2) 657 hours over 10 months 450 hours over 10 months (3) 300 hours over 10 months.