Focuses on LOW TO MODERATE INCOME INDIVIDUALS BECOME MORE SELF-SUFFICIENT
WHY WE DO IT:
- Because families who are behind need a hand up and not a hand out.
- Because the dignity of paying for it yourself is far better than the pain of relying on others to do it for you.
- Because in our country people are hungry and that should make all of us sleepless at night.
HOW WE DO IT:
- Through our VITA program we are ensuring that families get the most back per year. Income that assures
them that they will be able to make ends meet.
- Through the Emergency Food and Shelter program, we are providing both leadership and financial resources through our nonprofit partners
to families and individuals who need it most.
- In our region we know that millions of dollars go unclaimed for low-income families.
Our program helps families take advantage of those benefits.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) – Our Certified Tax Preparer Volunteers assist low to moderate income individuals/families who may lack the knowledge and understanding to determine their credits and complete their tax returns properly.
- Recruit and train volunteers to prepare tax returns for low-income and disabled individuals/families.
- Provide free tax return preparation to low-income and disabled individuals/families during a ten-week period.
- Assist Low-income families in obtaining the EITC.
- Learn More about VITA
MyFreeTaxes.com – is an online, free tax preparation service for young adults, working families and anyone earning less than $60,000 a year. Complete Your Taxes Here
Financial literacy – Many people in our community live paycheck to paycheck without planning or budgeting. Unfortunately, without proper financial planning, even a small crisis can have devastating results. The Financial Literacy Program connects local volunteers to people who need one-on-one counseling and workshops on everything from basic banking, understanding credit reports, getting out of debt and more.
For more information about sponsoring a Financial Literacy workshop please contact Tamara Greene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Smart Money – United Way has the information you need to feel financially secure. How can we help you? Take the quiz