WHY WE DO IT:
- Because children who start ready to learn and maintain that readiness do better in life.
- Because we know children learn to read up to 3 rd Grade and after that they learn by reading.
- Because a prison beds and populations are calculated by 3 rd grade reading scores.
HOW WE DO IT:
- Through partnerships with our funders (like you), the school district and local non-profits
we are ensuring that our earliest learners are on grade level.
- By working with teachers and principals, we are targeting the most at-risk students and
ensuring they have the support they need.
- By working with non-profits we are leveraging their strengths in culture and community with that of teachers to ensure that students are getting what they need.
Growing Great Readers
The Growing Great Readers AmeriCorps program is a high quality, comprehensive, research-based English literacy tutoring program that supports students, families, and the community. Growing Great Readers’ mission is to provide low-income schools with AmeriCorps tutors to ensure that children advance to grade level reading before 3rd Grade. Learn More
Vello is one-on-one online tutoring that makes volunteering and community impact easy. Read with kids without leaving your workplace. Vello also matches schools to local, corporate sponsors and volunteers, giving students access to people committed to improving their reading.
Summer S.A.I.L. (Science and Inquiry Learning) is a 6-week summer enrichment program that aims to prevent the “summer slide” and increase literacy rates in Georgetown and Williamsburg Counties. The program started in 2014 at Sampit Elementary. Learn More
Dolly Parton Imagination Library
Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is a book gifting program that mails free, high-quality books to children from birth until they begin school, no matter their family’s income. Children in Georgetown County are eligible for books. For More information about the local program contact (843) 546-6317 or visit imaginationlibrary.com
The STAR Program connects business professionals and community stakeholders to Kindergarten through 3rd Grade students who need extra support in reading. These children are known as striving readers. Black River United Way wants to implement this program in your school. Become a STAR Volunteer Today.
Positive Parenting Program (Triple P)
The vision for this initiative is that if private and public organizations share a common approach to parent education, they will affect a culture change that will make it more possible that all children and youth will have opportunities to reach their full potential. This vision is shared among members of the Georgetown County Youth Collaborative Groups who believe they can help children and youth best when people, organizations, and agencies work together on parent education. To learn more about Triple P, please contact Tamara Greene at (843) 833-8310
United to Read & 3rd Grade Pep Rally
United to Read is an event, and is one local response to our nation’s reading crisis. United to Read connects community volunteers to every elementary school Kindergarten, First, and Second Grade classrooms throughout all three counties, Georgetown, Horry, and Williamsburg counties. Our goal is to show volunteers how much fun and worthwhile it is to read to a child, to show our children that the community cares for them and raise awareness to the importance of 3rd grade reading.
- On November 8, 2018 at 10am – 11am over 300 volunteers will be dispatched to K-2nd Grade Classrooms and select daycares to read the same book at the same time to over 6000 children!
- The 3 rd Grade Reading Pep Rally is a similar event especially designed for 3 rd Graders who are about to take their first state achievement test. This event is held in the Spring.